Hint: How to Track Unknown Relationships in Family Tree Maker
Sometimes I come across an obituary that says “survived by nieces…” or “survived by grandchildren…” and the exact relationship is not obvious. So what do I do in these situations? Here’s the steps:
- Add the grandchild or niece to my database in Family Tree Maker.
- Add a task to the grandchild or niece that says “grandchild of [deceased’s name].”
- When I’m finished with the obituaries, I can go to the Plan tab and see all the tasks.
- I’ll go through the tasks and maybe I’ve already found the connection through other obituaries. If so, I can mark those complete. When that’s done, I’m left with relationships that need further research.
- Complete further research.
Today’s totals: 15999 persons in the database with 10771 persons with a Conneautville life event. Still working on pulling photos from the 1956 Conneaut Valley High School yearbook.